Sunday, December 20, 2009

Alan's Vertebroplasty and alot of other stuff!!

First, I am so sorry I have not updated in a while. It's just been a little busy around this house. I don't think I ever let everyone know when Alan's surgery was. It was finally scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 15th in Houston, so obviously that means he has already had the Vertebroplasty. I'd like to say it went pretty well, but.... We had to be at the hospital at 7am. After many many hours of waiting, Alan was finally taken back a little after 12pm. They took him back around 10 from the preop room, so we thought he was going straight to surgery....WRONG!! They finally came and got me about an hour later and said they were waiting on a different type of needle for the surgery. They had told Alan that b/c one (they were working on the L2 and L3) of the vertebrae was almost completely collapsed, they were not sure how much they would be able to help it. This was disappointing news, but we just prayed they would be able to do the best they could. After they took Alan back he was in surgery about 2 hours. Basically, they numb his back, but Alan was awake. Then they start HAMMERING long rods with these large needles in his vertebrae....4 of them. After the first wack...Alan came up off the table...he felt it. They gave him more meds. After the third time of doing this...they finally just knocked him out. Lets just say that was the start of a rough experience. They inject cement through the needles into the vertebrae. I guess we will see on Alan's next scans just how much it helped. After the surgery, Alan was hurting pretty bad. When he got to his recovery room, the pain was worse. They told him he had to lay on his back for 6 hours. Alan has not laid flat on his back in almost 3 months, so this was going to be hard and he was in so much pain. The nurse was pumping him with pain meds, but it was just not doing the trick. Finally, he got enough for some relief and was able to rest...until that wore off. About three hours later the Dr. came in to check on him and told Alan he could move around in the walking yet. I don't think Alan quit moving for the next hour just trying to find a comfortable position. Finally, after the full 6 hours, Alan was able to get up and try and walk with his walker. He did pretty well, but couldn't do much. Alan's mom and I left the hospital around 9pm to go get some rest and Alan's dad stayed the night with him in the hospital. He had to have his pain better managed before he could leave. Apparently alot of people just walk right out of the hospital after having this procedure, but of course, not us. Poor Alan, I don't think he ever has a text book experience.

Cookie (Alan's mom) and I picked the guys up from the hospital about 9am and back to the hotel we went. Alan took it easy most of the day and then we came home Thursday. He made the ride home pretty well. We stopped a few times to walk around and that helped.

Yes, Alan is still dealing with alot of pain...mostly in both hips and legs. He had trouble with these areas before, but right now it is pretty bad. He is still using his walker and his walking stick to get around, but trying to be Super Man and not use them. I don't blame him...I know he is tired of it, but he has to use them and I have to remind him that sometimes. Alan did try and sleep in the bed a couple of nights, but he is just not to that point yet, so he will continue to sleep in the lift chair and recliner.

The month of December has been very busy and overwhelming to us. I know in one post I mentioned we had our house for sale...well, we sold it. It happened very quick, but we are glad and excited about what is hopefully in our future. Did I just use the word excited...I think I did. Finally, I can say we are excited about something. We are just praying everything works out the way God intends for it to. We sold our house to a wonderful family and I could not be more happy about it. I prayed for a family to buy this house that would enjoy it as much as we have. So, for the rest of the month, we will be celebrating Jesus Birthday, packing up a house and praying for Alan to feel better. We will probably have to be out of our house the middle of January.

The weekend before we left for Houston, Sydney had a solo at church for the Children's Live Nativity Play. She sang "Away in a Manger" and did sooo good. Man, I can't believe how she can just get up there at 6 years old and do that. I'm so proud of her and she is a wonderful child. Carson, well, he is just busy and going through the terrible twos I think. Lets just say he is a little whinny, but we still love him too, lol. Actually, he can be the most loving little boy at time and then....well, there's the other side!!

Let me apologize in advance, but the McCone's will not be sending out Christmas cards this year. I have not been able to get anything together and I wish I did, but I just don't have the time. Maybe something in the spring with a new address, ;-).

We will be back in Houston January 4th for Alan's regular set of scans. I'm very nervous about this visit. Praying that new mass in Alan's lung turns out to be nothing. If it is still there, they will go in from the side and take a biopsy.

Merry Christmas to your family from ours and I hope you all have a Wonderful New Year with many blessings!! We love you all dearly and always we thank you for your prayers, friendship and love!

1 comment:

LaTonya Bynum said...

I will be praying for you and your family.