Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Alan Update

I have gone back and forth on whether or not to post about our latest, but I feel that I have shared our life thus far, so why keep everyone in the dark now!

If you follow my blog and read updates about Alan, then you know about his back trouble and the cancer in his back. The cancer is in the L2, L3 and T11 vertebrae. It is also in the spinal canal and nerves. The last 2 weeks have been very challenging around our house. While Alan continues to keep his spirits up and make everyone believe that he is doing just great, his back is telling him different. Alan is in alot of pain right now. He is not able to sit or stand for very long and he is pretty much in the bed most hours of the day. We did get him a lift chair that he is able to sit up in. He will be mad at me for telling this, but he is having to walk with a walker right now. Mentally, Alan is doing great...just being stubborn!! :-) I finally got him to start taking pain meds Saturday. He did not want to start taking them with, I'm sure, the fear of having to depend on them. He is taking the pain meds like he should and I can tell it his helping him get some relief.

I know Alan and I both have so many emotions going on with both of us, well, our whole family does. So many concerns, questions. There is much more involved to this situation, but not anything that I care to share at the moment....sorry. It gets too personal at this point. I just ask that you continue to pray for Alan, Me, our kids, our family. Our kids are 6 and 2 and they do not understand. Sydney is very concerned for her daddy and Carson can't understand why they can't play horsey anymore. These are just very sad days for us. Another sad situation is that we are working on Alan's Long Term Disability. I never thought it would come to this, but it has. It's all very heartbreaking actually.

Alan's next appointment is October 5th in Houston. If things do not improve, then we see no way for him to make the trip. Not even by plane. We have had some other suggestion thrown our way that we are going to consider as far as traveling. It's all just one day at a time and sometimes one hour at a time!

Thank you for your prayers and love!

"fear not, for I am with you;be not dismayed, for I am your God;I will strengthen you, I will help you,I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

8 comments:

Mich said...

Found you by way of a friend and their prayer request on Facebook.

I will be praying for your family.

Jefferson said...

I am so sorry you guys are going through this. Your faith is amazing. I will be praying continually for you guys.

Jessie said...

Praying for you guys!

Summer Crow said...

Melissa- wow. What do you say to something like this? Although I've never experienced it from your position, I know what you are going through and I'm sorry. I continue to pray for you guys daily. I can't imagine what your kids are feeling right now. We are struggling with my daddy with pancreatic cancer of which there is no cure. I am 25 years old and this is by far the hardest things I have ever gone through. I can't imagine life without my daddy. My parents don't have any children at home to try to explain the whys to..and it is tough, so I can only imagine what you are experiencing. My dad recently isn't even strong enough to walk. He can barely make it to the bathroom with a walker or cane on occasion and most of the time he has a motorized chair we help him in to so that he doesn't have to lay in the bed all day. His spirits have been great. I sometimes find myself wondering what he is feeling inside and wishing just once I could take away the pain. He has his down days where he says he is just ready to go be with the Lord and man are those tough...but for the most part, he keeps all our spirits up. I think I've began to ramble....But just know that the Lord is with you always and as awful as it all may seem, the Lord will never put us through more than we can handle. If you guys need anything at all, please let me know. I would be glad to do anything I can for you. And remember...there are so many people out there praying for you and Alan and the kids. Love y'all!

Sue W said...

Melissa my heart is breaking for you. I am still praying everyday for you and your family.

Ellie said...

You still amaze me! I know this could not have been an easy post, but thank you for sharing. Your family is in our prayers and thought of much more often than I let you know.
Ellie

Betty Tonnang said...

I have been following your blog and just to let you know i am for sure holding you and your family in my daily prayers. also just to tell you the house no body knew about in delhi belongs to lev dawson who owns a large sweet potatoe farm south of delhi and the house is known as the pink house. when he first built the house it was very pink but over the years it has faded.

Melissa McCone said...

I just want to tell everyone thank you so very much for your prayers and kind words. These are dark days for us right now, but I know the sun will shine soon!

Summer, we pray for your famaily constantly. We know the struggles you guys are dealing with and it's just hard. I know it's hard for you to see your dad is such pain. I feel the same way about Alan.

Betty, thank you for leaving a comment and for solving my house question, lol. I would have never believed it was pink. Maybe that's why no one knew the "big white house" we were talking about. I guess to them, it was pink!

Thank you again to everyone for your comments!